Monday, September 23, 2013

Book Report and California Relief Maps

Hello and Happy Monday!

Today, your children received their first Book Report Assignment of the year!   Each child was given a packet that contained directions, a rubric, and templates for the report.  Your child is to read a Fantasy book of their choice (at least 125 pages) and I am asking that it not be a book they have read before.
As you may have noticed, part of the assignment is that I must approve of your child's book choice.  This is to insure that all students' books are part of the fantasy genre and meet the minimum 125 pages. 
I will be handing out slips tomorrow that students are to fill out with their name, the book title and author to submit to me by Monday, September 30th.  I am looking forward to the final results, I know they will be wonderful!

Also, this week, I have a fun activity planned for the students.  We are going to be making relief maps of California from salt dough.  I am asking that each child bring in an AIR-TIGHT ZIPLOCK BAG on THURSDAY of the salt dough mixture.  It must be in an air-tight bag or else it will dry out before the students have a chance to mold it.  I will be sending home the ingredients for the mixture Tuesday for the activity on Thursday, but I am also including it here.


Salt Dough Recipe:

2 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
¾ cups of water

INSTRUCTIONS:
In a large bowl mix salt and flour together.
Gradually stir in water. Mix well until it forms a doughy consistency.
Kneed with your hands until smooth and combined.

Place the mixture into an air-tight ziplock.

Finally, if any parents would like to volunteer to assist on Thursday with the making of the relief maps, I would be thrilled to have additional hands!   I only need 4-5 parents, so please send me an email if you are available this Thursday from about 2:00 - 2:45pm. 


If you have any questions about the Book Report or Relief Map please do not hesitate to email me at ajones@olaschoolk8.org.

Thank you,
Miss Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment